Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Deconstructive Theory Presentation

Hello everyone! Our slides from our PowerPoint Presentation should be on Angel as soon as I figure out how to upload them.

I think our presentation on deconstructive theory went really well, especially considering the theory is one that is difficult to conceptualize. We wanted to make sure the class understood the idea behind ambiguous language and I really think we accomplished that. We also tried to make that part of the lecture entertaining by demonstrating how deconstructing a sentence could be fun. The headlines at the end of the lecture especially drove that point home.

If we could go back and do some things differently, I think we should have handed out a hard copy of our reading so the class could visually follow along and use it as a tool to try deconstructive theory. I didn't realize how helpful having the text physically in front of you was until we did the reading and discovered the class had issues remembering enough to deconstruct.

By the end of the period, though, I think the class had a basic idea of the theory and how to apply it. It was really fun working with the group and then teaching the class about our theory. I'm also glad I was in the deconstructive group because this theory is so interesting and you never know where your interpretations will take you. Please comment with your thoughts ...

2 comments:

  1. I concur that handing out a physical copy of the text we used during our read-aloud would have been helpful, given that this particular approach to analysis requires close attention to individual words. That having been said, I also agree that things went smoothly overall. I had worried about time constraints with showing the many clips—all of which I believed were important in order to really drive the point home—but things worked out just fine, as other parts of the lesson were a bit shorter than I had anticipated. It was great to see everyone catching on in the end; ultimately, I think everyone can deconstruct if they don't worry too much about it—in this sense, it is something that our education has kind of trained us against over the years, so our goal last Thursday was to reverse this propensity in our fellow classmates. If I had it all to do again, there is not much I would change, save for explicitly incorporating the idea of "rebuilding," which was something I just never got around to putting in the lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun giving our presentation on deconstruction. You should check out this video of Jacques Derrida, the founder of deconstruction, in a little clip on deconstruction. It's pretty cool to listen to him try to talk about his theory... oh language.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgwOjjoYtco

    thanks for your participation :)

    ReplyDelete