Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Sparrow

One of my all-time favorite books are The Sparrow and its sequel, Children of God, by Mary Doria Russel. They came to mind today because the author wanted to explore what it would be like to encounter a new culture: Is there the possibility of exploration and encounter without one civilization colonizing the other? Have we learned from the past?  Given current globalization, she set the story in the fairly near future and began with the idea that humanity "discovers" a new world and alien race.

I know that not everyone is into science fiction. For what it's worth, I once read this with an adult book club and even those who initially protested my choice of text for "my" month, ended up loving it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment