Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Katie Pizarek's response to Crank

"Crank" works well as a young adult novel. It casts the main role to a fifteen year old narrator, named Kristina. Kristina is subjected to many adversaries that some students, while hopefully not the majority, are subjected to. While Kristina turned from the straight A student to the drug addict, many other teens face problems that take them down as well (not necessarily drugs) so they would be able to somewhat relate or assimilate to Kristina and her life. They could read the novel more metaphorically. A possible problem that adults may have with their teenage children reading such a novel as "Crank" could be the rawness that Hopkins used in her writing. Although Hopkins highlights many "lows" that follow the use of drugs, she also adds in some highs that may make such an unhealthy "hobby" appealing. "Crank" does however provide the much needed emphasis on the already known fact of , "you are who you hang out with" for it was Kristina's new friend Adam who introduced the "monster" to her. This being said "Crank" is not only a novel for young adults to read, but also a great one for parents as a reminder to watch who you kids are associating with. "Crank" is also a novel for young adults to read because it deals with the "uncomfortable" discussion of rape. Teenagers need to know that it is so important to get help and go to the authorities if they are ever, god forbid, placed into that situation. Being raped is nothing for anyone to be ashamed of. All in all "Crank" was an extremely powerful book written ingeniously in verse. It highlights on the power that drugs hold over their users by use of their addictive nature. It showcases to teens everywhere (as well as to adults) how very fast drugs can take a person down and keep them there.

4 comments:

  1. opps, i forgot to put a "label" on my post so now it has its own tab thing...im sorry and have no idea how to fix it... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this novel works as a YAL novel. I think that it serves as a cautionary tale against drug use. I also agree that it is very raw and I think that is what makes it feel more authentic. Kristina's drug use doesn't just lead to new friends, and an addiction. It also leads to her being raped, and getting pregnant. There are many consequences that can come with using drugs. I think that Hopkins tries to highlight on all of these. That drug use makes you even more vulnerable to harm. I think that young adults could relate to it because it seems very real. I think many students can relate to your first crush, the feeling of wanting to rebel, etc. However, it also forces young adults to realize that for every action they choose there is a consequence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you and think the novel would be a good one to demonstrate the dangers of drug use to teenagers. But I also have an issue with the description of the highs the drug gives its users. I realize they are important to the story because it explains the addiction, but I wanted Kristina/Bree to express more remorse toward the end. I feel like since she started doing Meth, her emotions while she was "sober" were lackluster. While that probably rings true, it makes it seem as if she doesn't regret the choices she has made even though have caused many bad things to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I would teach this novel in a YA class. I think the author gives the right message that drugs are bad, regardless of the fact that Kristina feels really good while she is on them. As much as I like the standard happy ending, I'm glad Hopkins went with the more tragic ending of teen pregnancy and Kirstina's continuous struggle to stay clean. I like the fact that it is a short read and that students can easily deconstruct the structure of the poems to create their own meanings of them. I would love to hear what YAs have to say about the book.

    ReplyDelete