Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

All-Encompassing post

So, I really enjoyed the Critical Theory Today chapter, because it rang true for me. I had always consumed everything I read and felt full, but never digested it...if that analogy makes sense. I really like when Tyson talks about what critical theory can do to enhance our reading of literature, and I found them to be true of my experience with critical theory; I found that I was sick of being that person that grazed over the blatant assumptions of a text without chewing on them for awhile and questioning them. I asked myself if I would rather be that person that continues to internalize everything the text has to offer, good and bad, and never stop being lazy enough to where I can choose to ignore it? The answer, of course, was a big resounding NO! As Tyson says on pg. 4, "we may not be aware of the theoretical assumptions that guide our thinking, but they are there nonetheless." I think that this is true of the social constructs that lead our reading rather than us leading it. I want to enjoy literature, but how can I knowing that it is trapping me even more than I ever knew? Personally, I think critical theory has set me free in so many ways, and I still enjoy literature, so...make of that what you will.

As for American Born Chinese, I loved it! No one knows as well as this middle school/high school girl always on the fringe of being accepted by SOMEONE but never quite making it enough to feel satisfied, that the longer you run away from yourself, the more it follows you and forces you to become the thing you're afraid of! Which, really in the end is not that bad. It was the only time I've ever felt happy; when I finally started acting like myself for a change, that is. I think it was beautiful in its simplicity, eye-opening and shocking at times, and yet somehow just said exactly what needed to be said. No wonder it won so many awards!

I can't think of any book recommendations, but I remember one of my favorite books always being The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment