Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cool, 2.0

Clearly a victim of the same elusive, fleeting nature of “cool” it attempted to pin down, The Merchants of Cool seemed to me, above all, dated. After almost ten years since it first aired, I’d go so far as to say it seemed “uncool,” as the kids like to say.

I say this respectfully, of course, with real appreciation for the fact that Frontline cared enough to give average viewers of public television (very much not YAs) a glimpse into the foreign, hyper-consumerist culture of which early-2000s teens were a part. In fact, the “TRL generation” the documentary sought to describe is very much my own: I can’t remember a day coming home from fourth through seventh grade without being greeted by Carson Daly, and, although I can remember all their lyrics, I still wonder what was so appealing about Limp Bizkit. (I suppose Merchants cleared some of that mystery up, since it appears even a rock with an effective-enough marketing campaign could find some measure of success!) MTV, Limp, Britney, Sprite -- all of these were big figures in my formative years, and, I would guess, helped shape me into the consumer I am today. Any adult unaware of how children lived in 2002 would surely have his eyes opened after a viewing.

Nonetheless, whether or not it’s a result of my familiarity with this culture, which extends far beyond what was portrayed onscreen, I found that much of what the documentary had to say broke no new ground. Adults are always a few steps behind the young, but with enough money, new techniques, and advertising outlets, their corporations can weasel their way into the psyche of many YAs. It used ubiquitous cultural figures (who hasn’t gossiped about Britney Spears?) to make this point, plus a tired symbol, MTV, to represent a phenomenon that actually spanned much further, into choice of stores, food, clothing, etc. It seemed, frankly, that the producers had only a vague, conceptual definition of "cool," as articulated by Malcolm Gladwell and big-name CEOs, without many cutting, groundbreaking examples of it at work.

But because I understand the need for a dissection of a youth culture that can seem so cloudy to outsiders, what I’d really appreciate is an updated Merchants of Cool. Britney has been talked to death, but the revival of Disney (High School Musical, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus) and the Twilight juggernaut are fresh, pervasive figures in today’s elementary/middle school culture -- so fresh that such investigative journalism has yet to lay into them. Further, since I’m not as directly involved in this movement, I’d be curious to know how the same ad execs have encouraged their popularity, and how current subject matter has run counter to the angry, crude, and over-sexualized adolescent idols of the late 90s.

In addition, the mention of cool being killed as soon as it reaches the mainstream begs the question of the indie music scene (and accompanying fashion trends), which relies on older YAs competing to discover obscure artists of increasingly innovative/strange (take your pick) genres. As someone who’s actively interested in learning about this music (I work for the campus radio station, the Impact), I know first hand the bittersweet feeling that comes when a favorite band is no longer “mine alone,” even if they are gaining the fame and recognition I know they deserve. I see this subculture as having an even touchier relationship with media and corporate advertising, so I’d be curious to learn how consumerist trends are propagated via blogs, magazines, television, in more subtle manners than MTV is capable of (maybe MTVu?).

Hopefully, then, the producers of Frontline will take it upon themselves to update this documentary someday soon. It will be to the enlightenment of both adults and aging YAs like me, who may need their own “cool hunters” to keep themselves in the know.

4 comments:

  1. I too found that all of the things that this report focused on related to my own childhood. I remember watching all the movies and television shows discussed. I listened to the music, etc. I was amazed by how affected I was by this media, without even realizing it. I would agree that this report now seems very uncool. Like the report says by making something mainstream it becomes uncool. All of these things became mainstream like TRL, Limp Bizkit, and therefore, became uncool.

    However they still use the same archetypes I feel to make things popular just tweek it a little. You still have young stars who are meant to present a wholesome image but get sucked into the "mid-drift" archetype. One example, could be Miley Cyrus. She is meant to be sweet and innocent on her Disney show, and she is. However, in the magazines they make her a sex symbol. So I do not think that the whole advertising formula of the 90s has been thrown out he window. I think that they are using similar techniques and just changing the players in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who feels that they have a knowledge of music, I also can't help but get nervous about how the big industries are now seeking out to the smaller independent labels for fresher ideas. Since I was in high school I've considered myself somewhat of a music snob -- not to the point where I would put someone down for the music that they listen to, but to the effect that when I find a good band, I don't like to tell people about it. I know that as soon as I hear it on the Impact, it's all over.It's no longer mine.
    The last thing I want is to go to Rick's and see a bunch of drunk frat boys and sorority girls singing along to "My Girls".
    In a lot of ways it's relateable to the ICP fans in the documentary. I guess that's one of the good things about independent music though -- it's always going to be around. Sure, some of the bands that I like now may eventually get popular enough to sign a major record deal and make albums with 2 radio singles on them, but there will always be good music under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments also made me think of modern advertising/marketing efforts. As you said, MoC is dated, and though it might have once been relevant, I think its core concepts are behind the times. For instance, considering rise of the internet and social networking the areas of advertising have changed irrevocably. But just like the idea of cool itself, the moment they updated this documentary is the moment it becomes irrelevant as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of disagree... I don't think the rise of the internet and social network have really put these concepts "behind the times" as Brett says. I just think these things influence the spread of these trends, and the ease of influence the media can have. Before, it was simply through visual ads (tv, billboards, magazines, etc.) and audio ads. Now, you find ads all over the internet, on nearly every website, and even all over social networking sites. I don't think these things have really given a more creative license to people, I just think it's a broader network for people to be "sold" on things.

    ReplyDelete