Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Critical Theory Today

I was impressed with the first chapter of Critical Theory Today. I am definitely one of those people who reads for enjoyment, especially during the school year when I am busy with the piles of homework assigned. I have loved reading since I was a child and have never really stopped. I can, and have on multiple occasions, sit in one place for hours and hours with a good book in my hand. And of course, I feel the heartbreak when a story ends and I am no longer immersed in that world. Analyzing books has never appealed to me, because I have always felt that I will lose something if I look to critically. I believe that some books weren't written with a deeper purpose and were simply meant to be enjoyed.

But after the first chapter of Critical Theory Today I am ready to give theory and reading a chance. I don't believe I will be fully converted, but I appreciated the simple way the author reached out to readers like me. The author made a point of pointing out the prejudices people have against analyzing texts and then explained why we would be okay using theory despite them. After reading this chapter I am much more willing to give critical theory a chance and maybe even enjoy it.

Also, I am really looking forward to American Born Chinese after all of the previous posts. I think I will pick it up right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment