Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Ramblings

I just have a few things on my mind, so forgive me if this seems a little bit disjointed and random...

I enjoyed Moore's article Theory as Prism. As an aspiring teacher I think that its important to recognize multiple readings, as well as using a certain book to connect with several larger ideas. Its something I'm trying to improve on as a critical reader this year.

I hated Does My Head Look Big in This, but I'm keeping an open mind, too. I don't remember who brought it up, but someone mentioned thinking about the book as a YA or adolescent. Sometimes I forget that as a teacher I'm going to have to recommend books to students that might like DMHLBIT. So whoever brought that up, thanks for putting it in perspective.

For those who haven't seen or heard of Axe Cop, its a pretty hilarious comic written by a five year old and illustrated by his older brother. Check it out at www.axecop.com

I recently read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It was brought up in one of the articles we read, and I would strongly suggest it. My sister is working through the series so I'm awaiting book two from her. It was an easy read and definitely fit into the YA genre nicely.

That's all from me for now, see you in class.

1 comment:

  1. Ender's Game is a classic, both as an adult and a YA book. (It was marketed as a cross-over book.)

    ReplyDelete