Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Some blogs... (?)

Describing this assignment to my room mate as he stood in my door and flipped a half full water bottle into the air... we get into the possibility of starting one of these things... he's a computer student and would... know how to do it, and we would fill it with fanatical stories, told from the point of view of one fictional character but woven together from the highlights of our college years.

(irrelevant.)

In other news... I'm staring at my bookshelf and I don't think I have any young adult literature up there. SO here's a recommendation for the last book I read, "Inherent Vice" by Thomas Pynchon. My first look into this famous author's cannon is ironically his very latest book, and one that frankly confused the hell out of me. Given the subject however, this is appropriate. You want to think somewhere along the lines of "The Big Lebowski" meets "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" for this one, in which a pot head gumshoe traces what starts as a kidnapping plot and eventually comes to include dozens of characters who may or may not connect, this being dependent on the state of conciousness that our private eye is then tuned into. I never felt like I knew half of what was going on, yet had a strong sense that the protagonist was only a lick better off than I was. A more intense reading may have been more rewarding than one stretched out over a holiday break and even a few weeks into the semester. Or maybe I should have taken notes. Either way, I can't argue that I didn't enjoy the thing, and Pyncon's language alone would have me coming back. And I don't think he would object to the idea of readers of any age enjoying the novel, never mind the target audience.

watch this if you don't want to read the post... Narrated by the author
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWKPdDk0_U

1 comment:

  1. A mix between The Big L and Fear and Loathing sounds fantastic...especially in written form.

    ReplyDelete