Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rebel Teen


I find the concept of 'raging against the machine' or rebelling against corporate control extremely interesting. This concept is nothing new; I find multiple parallels with the hippie movement of the 60s and the corporate support behind that (ie. the music industry, textile, media). In my generation, the biggest rebel movement to hit was the emo-punk rock fad. Suddenly everyone, from "book nerds" to the "popular girls" were were teasing their hair and wearing skinny jeans and converse sneakers...marketed at 'rebelling' against mainstream...marketed so as to become mainstream.


"Merchants of Cool" used the example of Insane Clown Posse as an outlet for the 'rebelling'; this example is perfect. These teens were so eager to rebel, they failed to understand that they are feeding the machine as well. The following are some lyrics from Tool's song "Hooker with a Penis" which about consumerism and 'selling out.' Again, this idea of ignorant rebel comes into play.

I, met a boy, wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope beastie-tee, nipple rings,
New tattoos that claim that he
Was OGT,
back in '92,
from the first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb f*ck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip sh*t,
And then you bought one.


Ironic, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment