Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Coolagraphy

Marketing and Advertising have never been this responsible for culture. It's interesting to see the mechanics and systems that MTV and other corporations have developed to get inside the minds of teens. When I was watching the film, I thought about how I was and perhaps still am a target for the teen market's interests. Although I don't follow too many mainstream pop culture trends, I am still a customer. This puts me as well as everyone else into pools that categorize us by everything from age to hair color. 3,000 advertisements a day flood our heads that plant seeds for recognition and response.

Just last year, I was one of the final top 12 male candidates to be on MTV's The Real World: Cancun. It was really interesting to analyze the questions and interviews I had. They asked what my favorite alcohol was, how prone to fighting I was, how much I listened to certain bands, etc. The purpose was to find another cast member that would stoke ratings and attract more viewers. Obviously, I did not make the cut (which I'm really glad about) but it did give me a different perspective about how screened, scripted, and critiqued media is before it ever reaches anyone.

Media giants like MTV are successful because of this in-depth research, however I personally see "cool" as something that can't be studied- it's too fluid. Studying the demographic is definitely the best way to angle your advertisements but lately, I'd have to say that MTV is heading towards a big problem. You can't thrive on reality TV and cash in ultra-tanned Jersey Beach kids for too long. That. is. NOT. cool.

3 comments:

  1. I think simplizing MTV has ultra-tanned Jersey Beach kids is an oversimplication. They have the ultra-tanned Jersey kids but they combine it with many other shows that attract a different audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is that MTV has thrived on filming reality TV shows of those teens for almost two decades now! The type of so-called stereotypical teen they film has just evolved over time.

    ReplyDelete