Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Merchant of Cool Response

From the moment the documentary started, I could tell that it was slightly out dated. I was surprisingly not that shocked to learn that the teenagers are the biggest market to companies, spending over 150 billion dollars in the year 2000. What did surprise me though, was the way that the company's attained their research and their drive to market to the teenage population without having them know that they are being marketed to. I feel that if a company was confident enough in their product then they wouldn't need to "trick" kids into liking/wanting it.
I was not happy at the idea of (even though not any longer a teenager) being a player in some companies money making game. They idea that we are exposed to over 3,000 ads in a single day just boggles my mind. I didn't realize the amount of ads that people are everyday exposed to, because I feel like we have become so immune to seeing them, that unless it is a newly released ad that catches the eye, we process them by second nature without even realizing what is going on. I forget the name of the company, but one of the businessmen from a certain company used the term "smuggling the message in" to describe his advertising. The word smuggling in itself is repulsive enough to understand the sneaky nature as to what they marketing giants are doing to their targets. As if this wasn't enough, then the documentary moved into the "feedback" loop. The way that teenagers are portrayed on television shows makes me sick. I completely follow how society has gotten slightly out of control with the need for all these new shows such as "Teen Mom" becasue when all the teenage population has to see is sex, then they are going to assume that it is the norm and soon find themselves in trouble. Another example of a television show taking teenage sex to the extreme is "Secret Life". On that show this 16 year old girl has a baby and gets engaged twice before even graduating. Does that sound like the average life of a girl in the high schools that you all went to? I know for me the answer is no way! These television shows are making it seem normal for teenagers to do these things and therefore putting pressure on today's society to keep up and follow along because what is on television is what is "cool". Marketers need to fully understand the impact that they have over these teenage minds just waiting to be molded, and therefore maybe take more percaution before releasing anything that could come back to "bite them in the butts".

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on your comments about Secret Life and Teen Mom. The problem with TV shows that perpetuate teenage pregnancy as norm can definitely warp teen perception in a negative way. I also just really hate abc family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Regardless of how 'mainstream' something is, when you market it on a media giant, millions are going to be exposed. Then we have to ask ourselves- is allowing this program to run really helping society or are we just looking for something to show for an hour that will allow us to throw in ads every 12 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amazed when the show The Secret Life of the American Teenager came out. I couldn't believe this show was telling me that secretly, I was like that. I don't think that show encourages teenagers to get pregnant, but I do think it gives a bad reputation to the teenager in general. Sure corporate America loves that teenager, but the rest of America is shaking it's head in disgust.

    ReplyDelete