Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Book Suggestion

I almost feel as if I am cheating by posting book suggestions, because reading and discussing books are more hobbies than homework assignments to me. That being said, it is difficult to narrow down my recommendations because I could type pages on young adult novels that I have read. What I would rather discuss are books that may not necessarily be intended for young adults but are nonetheless often discussed in a high school classroom. One of the few required books in my high school experience was Jurassic Park, which most likely sounds extremely boring and uninteresting to most freshmen girls. However, I ended up finishing the book weeks before the rest of the class had even begun it. It was so completely different than what I expected. A great deal of the book discusses scientific aspects of creating dinosaurs. While science has never been an interest of mine, I surprisingly enjoyed the intellectual challenge that the content posed. It made science (granted, fictional science) extremely interesting. My second suggestion would be a more traditional classroom book, The Great Gatsby. My class was learning about the roaring 20s at the time, so the book fit in nicely. I became completely enthralled with the dress and social behavior of this period. What's more is that a really great film was made off of the book which helps put a visual with the reading. While most films may not do a book justice, I felt that this particular movie held up pretty well in staying true to the major themes of the book.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating when my "work" involves reading YAL. :-)

    ReplyDelete