Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Listography.

So, I'm trying to think of some sort of witty blog post and failing miserably. I looked at my bookshelf to try and start a book recommendation and thought pretty much everyone has heard enough about Twilight, so I'll give it a rest (but I am Team Edward if you were wondering). Then I thought about posting this link I found to a youtube video called "Salam Cafe", which I stumbled upon because I wanted to hear what Randa Abdel-Fattah's accent sounded like but I didn't actually finish the video. I felt stuck at this point.

What do I do when I'm stuck?

Make lists.

Top 10 Fave Young Adult Books
(or books I consider to be YAL.)
(and in no particular order.)

1. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson
2. The Secret Life of Bees- Sue Monk Kidd
3. The Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold
4. Crank- Ellen Hopkins
5. Twilight (all 4.)
6. Catalyst- Laurie Halse Anderson
7. Diary of a Teenage Girl- Melody Carlson
8. Uglies (series)- Scott Westerfield
9. The Outsiders- SE Hinton
10. The Giver- Lois Lowry

Least Fave Young Adult Book
1. Lord of the Flies- WIlliam Goldberg
(This novel gives me the same gagging reaction as when I hear "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone" on the radio.)

What does your list look like?

1 comment:

  1. The Outsiders is definitely one of my favorites. It was a great look into the "bad boy" life that I was not involved in. Also, I loved Rocket Boys and Holes. Those were just great quick reads. One of my favorite authors that would be for the upper ages of YA would be Chuck Palahniuk. His novels are very gruesome and sexual, but they are incredibly different from any other kind of literature I have ever read. It is so odd and interesting. The last book I want to mention is The Zombie Survival Guide. This, again, would be for the upper ages of YA. It was very witty and comical book.

    ReplyDelete