Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Critical Theory Today Reactions

Good thing I caught this before class- my post from last night did not upload correctly. Here's hoping this one is successful:

Because I am not an English major, I take the backseat most of the time when it comes to reading. I thoroughly enjoy books but I do not stress their deeper meanings beyond the text most of the time, unless challenged by peers or a class. When I saw the book requirement for Critical Theory Today, I was pretty nervous. Seeing theory and connecting it with literature seemed daunting- however I was very surprised to read the first chapter with ease. Tyson spoke of an instance where a student didn't know what "the death of the author" meant during a conversation and its affect on his comprehension of the discussion. This is typical of my own self so I was drawn in to continue discovering how theories can help make a more fruitful experience when reading a book. Of course, no one has to read every book and analyze it through theory- but it will be interesting to start looking at certain texts with a different perspective, especially if the themes make any certain theory come to mind. I anticipate going back to some of my old favorites and looking for different connections I can make to larger meanings/themes.

One quote that particularly caught my attention was "Knowledge is what constitutes our relationship to ourselves and to our world, for it is the lens through which we view ourselves and our world. Change the lens and you change both the view and the viewer." It helps motivate you to keep reading the text as well as challenge yourself.

Finally- a list of my top five YAL:
1- The Wind Up Bird Chronicle
2- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
3- Kafka on the Shore
4- Things Fall Apart
5- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

3 comments:

  1. I love Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. I've read it twenty times and each time I get a different feeling from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say I love The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I forgot about that book. I got excited when I saw it on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" as well. The two books that spring to mind that have a similar feel are "Un Lun Dun" and "Brave Story".

    ReplyDelete