Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Book Recommendation

I have always like Scott Westerfeld's novels. The writing isn't very challenging, but the ideas certainly can be. One series I like particularly:
Uglies
is written in a futuristic society where everyone is given an operation at age sixteen to become beautiful. Why? After an apocalyptic-like scenario the new leaders believe war was caused because of differences and inequalities. This was their solution. They didn't plan for people who might not want to be pretty. The main character, Tally makes a friend who doesn't want the operation. Will she change Tally's mind?
It's become a trilogy, with a companion novel as well. These books really make you think, especially in this world that is all about apperances.

1 comment:

  1. He's started a new series as well. The first book, Leviathan, is out. (I loved it, especially because it was my first introduction to steam punk.)

    ReplyDelete