Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Moore/Critical Theory

So I posted earlier about American Born Chinese because I read that before the articles, but before moving on to the articles, I just wanted to say I agreed with the other post about it and am also curious about class discussion next week. It takes a while to get into, and has some blatant discrimination, but contains lots of other cultural references and an overall good message. Also, it's easy to read in one sitting in the comic book format.

Anyways, I really liked the Theory as Prism article. It really captured the essence of examining texts in different ways and provided good detailed examples. All the subtitle areas were really intriguing and I loved all of the tie-ins with biblical references, cultural references, and gender references. Also, it really made me want to read "Jacob Have I Loved." Has anyone actually read this book who could give me some advice?

In relation to critical theory, reading the first chapter has made me a little less hesistant about it. I was nervous about whether I'd like it or be good at it, but after reading how and why it is important, along with the Prism article, it sounds like class should really teach me how to find better books and better understand them.

Sorry this is just a bunch of jumbled thoughts and feelings about the readings. But if anyone really does know about the "Jacob Have I Loved "book, please let me know. I'm always looking for good reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment