Kidlit Bloggers

This is one of the blogs that my students and I created for a course on young adult literature. For this particular blog, students weren't required to post and we used the space as a complement to our twice a week sessions. The "Issues of Diversity in Children's and Adolescent Literature" blog shows what it looked like when I had a blog as an instructor and asked students to create and link their own review blogs to the course site.
.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Book Recommendation: Dance, Recover, Repeat by Alasdair Duncan

I highly recommend Dance, Recover, Repeat by Alasdair Duncan. This book is haunting and sticks with you. Seeing the despair of the main character Calvin and the emotions he goest through it will never leave you. Below is the link to the synopsis on Barnes and Noble website which I could spend hours in detail on but that should not be the focus. Duncan was 22 when he wrote this and I feel that adds to the authenticity of Calvin who is 16. It is choppy, abrupt, and emotional which connected with me because that is how I constantly felt. Duncan combines IM, e-mails, and regular text to tell the story of Calvin. I will warn you that this is not suitable for all young adults because of the themes, languages, and situations but this truly one of the most accurate portrayals of young adults that I've ever seen. Also below is the Entertainment Weekly Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment